Wednesday, January 16, 2008

DAY 16

When I got downstairs for my second installment of weekly Tuesday night dinners at Turnerschaft, it quickly became clear that this week was NOT like the last. Rather than the small, informal, pub setting, it was in a meeting hall room, with twice as many people, and a more formal dress code (minus myself, Erica, and 1 or 2 others). No one seemed to care that we weren't better dressed so we ate. After dinner, the plates were cleared and it was obvious that something was about to happen. What, I had no idea. I'm thinking, great this must be the Nazi part, right? Thankfully not. Instead, A woman (whom I think was from the newspaper or media of some kind) gave an hour+ lecture in German. I understood a lot of words, but only got maybe 2 or 3 complete sentences over the entire hour...one of which was accompanied by a gesture signaling me to sit back down when I tried to leave the room after the first 5 minutes.
I took some pictures in microbiology today. The first one is asbestos @ 40x, you can see why you wouldn't want to breath the stuff. Asbestos was used to filter beer years ago (and that is not a myth). Next, is diatomaceous earth (which a lot of breweries currently use for filtration). It's not great to inhale either, but looks a lot less severe than asbestos. I'll leave you with yeast cells, and my friends John Lane and Simon Siemsgluess "microscoping."

p.s. sorry, I have let a few days slip by...I'm having trouble uploading images.


No comments: