Thursday, January 24, 2008

DAY 24

After the first week I thought this course would be a breeze, but now that we’re in the thick of things, it’s a different story. It’s been 7 years since I’ve been a full time student and some things just don’t come as easy as I thought they would. I used to be able to think, absorb, and focus faster/better. The good news is that I’m learning things that I want to learn, and that makes all the difference. I do wish that I had taken some college level chemistry before coming here – I think that would have made this infinitely easier. I’m learning it now, but it’s a tough way to learn and makes learning everything else that much more difficult. I keep hearing that everything is going to come together at the end, and they’re probably right.


We compared a bunch of different yeasts in micro today. Two top fermenting and one bottom fermenting beer strains, red and white wine yeasts, Champaign yeast, yeasts that multiply by fission instead of budding called Schizosaccharomyces (get it?…SPLIT personalities…eh?), and a contaminant that is impossible to distinguish from lager yeast by microscopy (Saccharomyces diastaticus). I took some pictures of the lager yeast (plus a couple of Calcium Oxalate crystals) and some ale yeast (with pseudomycelium) for your viewing pleasure. (You’re welcome.)

Today, we had an unintentional long lunch that almost made us late for our Hops class. We went to an Indian restaurant where the only employee waited on us (and the other tables), poured and served our beers, and cooked and served all of the meals. He didn’t seem to be in much of a hurry. The rest of the staff showed up just before our food was served at 2pm (We ordered at 1:05). The food was good, but speed walking (you should’ve seen the link I decided against) to class after the last bite was not. Here’s a picture of a hop we analyzed in class with a pretty serious amount of lupulin (the yellow stuff) inside. It has nothing to do with Indian food…unless you get the really spicy kind…you might want some hoppy beer with that.

No comments: