Tuesday, January 8, 2008

DAY 8: SECOND DAY OF CLASSES

In Germany, apparently it's OK for a female janitor to enter a men's restroom at any time. I'm not sure that I'll ever get used to this. I first noticed it in the Frankfort airport, but it didn't hit home then as much as it did today at VLB. When I'm experiencing severe intestinal discomfort and need some quick relief, the last thing I want to see is a dainty German girl who has no intention of leaving the room. True story.

Other than that, today was great. Classes were: Barley, Chemistry, Water, and Utilities. More overviews on the new ones, but we're starting to dive into the others. I'm pretty stoked about 90 minutes of Water each week...it's going to be an extremely valuable course. The VLB staff is top notch so far.

Tonight, "FAX" (who is kind of the resident Dad and who is now listed in my cell phone as "Fax - HELP") cooked schnitzel and potatoes, which were fantastic. The house has its own "pub" (where dinner was served) downstairs with good beer on tap ("vom fass") and in bottles. You just keep track of what you drink in a notebook, which means I'll never have to go to the store. Beers are ~1 Euro (or ~$1.50). The other people living here are so friendly...they had coffee ready for Erica (my Canadian class/housemate) and I in the morning, helped get my new German cell phone functioning, and they all have a great sense of humor. There are a couple of old timers who came by tonight (I think a big dinner on Tuesday is customary) who are both very kind and have some good stories. The meal was much needed after a long day of 8 classes, bad cafeteria food (responsible for the aforementioned discomfort), and a hectic afternoon trying to make some necessary purchases...but that's another story.

No comments: