Sunday, January 13, 2008

Weekend 11-13

Friday we had Chemical-Technical Analyses, which basically just means that it's lab day. Our first installment was a basic intro to the lab, safety procedures, etc. followed by preparation of a normal solution (caustic) for a neutralization titration with HCL. VLB has some good lab equipment and so far I enjoy the lab work, although it is not my strong point. I think this course will help me to improve quite a lot.

Friday night Erica (Canada), Simon (Germany), Göran (Swedish guy pictured above), and the pair of American Johns met at Brauhaus Lemke, another one of the many Berlin brewpubs. They had what seems to be the standard line up of styles: Pils, Dunkel, Weizen, Seasonal. Not a bad lineup if you ask me. Their Dunkel, which they called "Original" was one of the best ones I've had here so far, so I drank too many of them. I hope to make something similar once I get back home. They also had some great schnitzel and sausage. It was a little pricey/touristy though, so after a while we decided to cruise to some other places.

I had to take a picture of this huge store we passed. It had nothing but sunglasses, which I think is funny since it gets dark super early here and this weekend was only the second time that I've really seen any sun. How this place makes rent in the winter is beyond me.

The night went by pretty fast (seems to happen here) and after a few different bars, we decided to call it a night. I'm not sure what time it was, but I'd guess somewhere in between 2-3am. Erica (housemate), John, and I needed the same first train. Well, we got on it, but headed in the wrong direction. After another wrong train, we found ourselves and a bad situation...cold, very far north of town, and not a whole lot of trains. The trains are MUCH less frequent at night. You know that you've left town when the usually digital signs are analog. After getting back on track, lots of waiting, a few transfers followed by the ~15 minute walk from the station, we finally arrived home at 5am!

No comments: