Saturday, May 24, 2008

4 more days

Yesterday was a long one. We had the written Chemical Technical Analyses exam at 8am and then the CTA Practical exam from 9am to 5pm (Definitely the longest exam I've ever had). The class is divided into thirds for this one, so some people have it today or tomorrow instead. I'm lucky to have it over with, and the whole weekend to rest and focus on the last 4 days of exams. I can't believe this is all over with on Thursday.

The practical exam was also divided into three parts: water analyses, beer analyses, and the Kjeldahl method for nitrogen/protein content. It was organized as a rotation where 3 people worked (independently and with different samples) on one set of analyses at a time to avoid cramped conditions, cheating, etc. Erica and Felipe also had the practical yesterday, but they started with Kjeldahl, whereas I began with water analyses. I'm glad I didn't have to work in Felipe's group. He knocked over Erica's samples at one point and created several other minor disasters.

Afterwards, Erica, Felipe, and I went to the biergarten in Tiergarten. I'd never been before, but everyone else has been raving about it. It definitely is the nicest of the few I've seen in Berlin so far. The weather is such a contrast from the first 4 months of the program - It's really too bad that the course doesn't start in March or April. If you ever visit Berlin, do NOT come before April. Someone told me a joke the other day: The only way to tell if it is winter or summer in Berlin is by the temperature of the rain.

p.s. It has come to my attention that groups of women in offices worldwide have been discussing the topic of Felipe's beard. To better facilitate this discussion, I have added a second poll in which you can voice your opinion. This poll can be found below the archives list in the right hand column.

No comments: